Open your own sandwich shop with this 33-piece smorgasbord of fabulous felt food pieces! Use white or wheat bread slices or a pita pocket, then layer on the meats, cheeses, vegetables, condiments and more. Build a submarine, a grinder, a hoagie or a Dagwood sandwich! With dozens of sandwich stuffers included, we’ve got the ingredients for any special order!
Extension Activities: More Ways to Play and Learn:
- Have kids identify each food item (other than condiments) and to categorize it by basic food group: meat, dairy, grain, fruit, or vegetable.
- Take turns being a chef and a dining customer in a restaurant. Place an “order” for a sandwich with a variety of ingredients. Have kids assemble your order using auditory memory. Discuss which types of sandwiches are generally more appropriate for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Have kids identify the colors and obvious shapes of each food item.
- Place all the felt food pieces in a row. Count the number of pieces with kids. Repeat until kids are able to count them independently.
- Visual memory skills: Place 3-4 ingredients in front of kids. Have them to study the pieces and then close their eyes while you remove one piece. Ask kids which piece you “ate!” Gradually increase the number of ingredients.